Thursday, February 08, 2007

"Normal"

But you are a chosen people...a people belonging to God
1 Peter 2:9

For years I prayed that the Lord would make me normal. Today that prayer makes me giggle. I wonder if the Lord chuckled too.
Have you ever met anyone "normal"? (Besides yourself, of course.) Most of us like to think we're sane regardless of how frayed our threads might be. We all long to be exceptional yet fear that even on tiptoes we wouldn't measure up to "normal".
C.S. Lewis quipped, "If God had answered all the silly prayers I've made in my life, where should I be now?" I too have prayed a lot of immature prayers, and I thank the Lord he didn't oblige me. I remember when I was housebound with agoraphobia, I told God that if he could just make me normal enough to get to the grocery store and home again, that would be enough. Imagine, I could still be in Piggly Wiggly's searching for sea salt and would have missed the privilege and joy of becoming a seasoning in the world.
In my emotionally wrought twenties, I prayed that God would change my husband's heart, and he did, but not in the way I anticipated. I thought God would convict Les of some of his insensitive ways so he would treat me with greater understanding. Instead the Lord began to work on me! And then an even funnier thing happened. Because Les's behavior was often in response to my poor attitudes, when I changed, he changed as well.
The Lord hears our silly prayers, our self-absorbed prattling, and our disjointed ruminations. Then he answers us in merciful ways.
Thankyou, Lord, for hearing past my words and giving me what
I really need. Amen
Patsy Clairmont
The Women of Faith Daily Devotional

I really enjoyed reading this devotion. With my depression, one of the main prayers I prayed was to be "normal". For me normal was to be free of depression and anxiety. Even for my physical health, having epilepsy was not "normal". Now at the other end of a particularly bad episode of depression, I realise that I'm as "normal" as the next person. What makes me special is I can relate to others who go through similar stuff. I no longer try to be someone I'm not. It takes too much energy and too much time. If I go through life that way, I wouldn't be able to bless people with the person that God made me to be. In saying that, I'm so thankful to God for carrying me through each trial and tribulation. I'm nothing without him. I hope this devotion helps others that go through the same struggle of trying to work out how to be "normal".








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think what you've said here is very insightful Lyddy. He is strong in our weaknesses.
Love Rach

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.